Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Great Quotes

"With most of us, after we get the technique and basic conception, the biggest problem is to find the right medium in which to express ourselves."--Quincy Jones

"Oh, yeah, I'm not in that box that's called a jazz musician. I mean, that's my foundation, that's where I come from, it's the jazz ethic that I use whenever I'm playing. So, in an extended sense, in a broader sense, whenever I'm involved with music, I'm coming from the place of being a jazz musician, even when I play classical music, because that's so ingrained in my head, the idea of being in the moment."--Herbie Hancock

"BE A MUSICIAN!"--Phil Woods

"Keep it [our music, jazz] goin'!"--Jimmy Heath

"When I was your age, I was skinny as a rail. And you know what happened? Cheese."--Jim Riggs

"You took advantage of my friend, you cur!"--Charlie Parker

"John [Coltrane] was always practicing, constantly researching, and exploring new musical concepts. Once I asked him, 'What is your favorite song that you've written?' 'I do not have one,' he replied. 'Why?' I asked. He said that he was looking for a linear theme that could go toward infinity and reveal itself through its own potentiality."--Alice Coltrane

No comments:

Post a Comment