This is what is written on a binder I put together after years of keeping some sort of journal: "Music Notes, Ideas and Misc. Topic Discussion." It's these thoughts and tons of study that have brought me to where I am today. And this is just one journal. I will do my best to reflect to my beginnings as a musician when I first started at age 11, back in fall 1993, and now at age 28 going on 29, as a musician and music teacher living in Dallas, TX, in winter 2011. Having played saxophone for 17 going on 18 years, surely I have something to offer. We all do. But experience speaks very loudly. There will always be someone better, and this can happen at any age and at any time, and then we learn from then, and hopefully grow and become better as well. But experience is key to life. We all are different and have different experiences. But with so much focus on one thing, and in my case, music, surely I have something to offer. Not as much as my wonderful parents, who are wise beyond their years, and my very own teachers throughout life: all the above have given me the strength and courage to try and prevail. And if you fail in music, it's not over. You learn from it. You get back up and try again, only this time, a little harder. It is from failing that we learn to be successful. Playing it safe isn't the way to go in music, especially as someone who has to stand up and play an improvised solo. Don't play in your safe zone. As legendary poker player Doyle Brunson said, ""Never be afraid to go out on a limb-that's where the fruit is."
This journal I had put together is very scatter-brained, and I will do my best to put it in some kind of reasonable order to present what I have for you all. This is how I will start it though. Just a simple introduction.
No comments:
Post a Comment