There was something great that came of my humiliating 7th grade year as a "B" Band student, last chair. I practiced so hard that summer before 8th grade that when I went in to my chair test and band placement audition, I came out the cream of the crop: 1st chair, 1st band. No kidding. From absolute bottom to absolute top. Yes I have to brag a little here: that's pretty crazy that it happened like that.
In fact, it continued to happen that way my whole life. At the University of North Texas, I went from making low lab bands my first year, to making NONE my whole entire second year. As a junior, I leaped straight to the 5:00 Lab Band, and stayed there for a year. Then the magic happened as a senior when I jumped from the 5:00 to the One O'clock Lab Band. It's funny how I made such a giant leap. The truth is, I worked very hard. I lived it. If you want results, you have to live it. And for me, a little humiliation goes a long way. In fact, I had a very, very hard time in college. I was humiliated many times early on (musically). I was irresponsible (more about that later), and even today, I wonder if I had soiled my reputation. I guess I did and I didn't. Maybe to those that really matter, I didn't soil my reputation. In fact, I triumphed and continue to triumph. You see, who cares about the results. That's not the point of this story. The point is: I worked hard, and continue to do so. Results happen no matter what. But there is no end-all with music.
In fact, for a couple of years after college, I tried so hard not be associated with my North Texas days. I wanted everything to be about what I had accomplished besides being in the One O'clock Lab Band. I wanted to pave my own way and have people not mention that band or that school when they talk about me and what I've done. But the truth is...the past is just as important as the present. You are who you are and you should be proud of what you have done. Being in that band was one of the best experiences of my life. And still is. I met some really great people--lifelong friends. I played amazing music. I became a much better player. I was taught by some of the best in the business--not just players, but as people. World class.
So why would I want to put that behind me? I'm hard-headed. Always have been. But I realized that my past results are important. That band and that school are a big, big part of who I am as a musician and person. And I am very happy to have experienced that. It sure took a lot of work, though!
No comments:
Post a Comment